|For an overview of various Vault jumpsuits, see Vault jumpsuit.|
The armored vault jumpsuit is a variant of the Vault-Tec vault suit, modified to better protect its owner in combat. It is a normal vault jumpsuit with several plates, most likely from leather armor, attached to provide additional protection.
The jumpsuit provides bonuses ideal for low level characters as +5 to Energy Weapons and Small Guns are fairly beneficial at the start of the game, where small guns like the 10mm pistol and energy weapons like the laser pistol are quickly obtainable.
- The suit can be found in Craterside Supply, Moira's store in Megaton. Moira bestows this gift on the Lone Wanderer for complying with a request to recall how life in Vault 101 was. Moira explains that she made this suit for a girl from the vault around "10 or 12 years ago," but the girl never returned to pick it up, leading Moira to speculate that she may have died.
- It can also be stolen or bought from her for around 180 caps if one chooses to not help her with the Wasteland Survival Guide.
- The way the suit is displayed in Moira's store is somewhat similar to the way the Vault Dweller's suit is enshrined in the Temple of Trials in Fallout 2.
- The suit is near identical to the Vault Dweller's armored Vault 13 jumpsuit when he is exiled.
- There is no Karma penalty for stealing this item.
- The suit seems to be considered the Fallout 3 promotional armor set because it appears on the character in all ending cutscenes.
- The Vault Boy icon for this piece of apparel portrays the Vault Boy with his back turned, similar to how the Lone Wanderer is portrayed at the end of the main storyline while wearing this same piece of apparel.
- In the Fallout 3 ending, the Lone Wanderer is seen wearing the armored Vault 101 jumpsuit in all the parts they appear in.
Behind the scenes
Both the armored jumpsuit and leather armor share similar textures and the distinctive single shoulder guard, as seen in the Mad Max series.