Armor and clothing are wearable items which increase chances of survival or add special attributes. There are many types of armor and clothing ranging from Vault jumpsuits to power armor, with power armor being the most powerful, but not necessarily the most useful, as it requires fusion cores to operate.
In Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, armor helps the player character by increasing their Armor Class, Damage Threshold and Damage Resistance. Different kinds of armor are better against different types of Damage.
In Fallout 3 and Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, there is only Damage Resistance and all kinds of armor are equally resistant to all types of damage, with the exception of a few such as the Enclave Hellfire armor which increases fire resistance.
Heavier armor weighs a lot more than normal clothes, so it is important to have plenty of spare room to accommodate its weight. Heavier armor will usually slow one down where lighter armor will not affect one's agility. Heavy armor will increase noise volume and decrease chances of successful sneaking.
In Fallout 4 clothing is generally divided into:
- Underclothing, capable of being worn under armor pieces.
- Complete clothing and armor sets that do not allow other armor pieces to be worn. This usually excludes the head, face and eye slots.
- Armor pieces for the Torso, Left and Right Legs and Left and Right Arms.
- Helmets, hats and other gear that fills the Head slot, which may or may not also fill the Face and Eye slots.
- Bandanas which fill the face slot.
- Glasses and goggles which fill the eye slot.
- A ring slot, only used by 1 unique item.
- Lastly, Power armor which is worn over any outfit or armor combination (in turn nullifying its effects) and consisting of a base Power Armor Frame and six slots for various power armor pieces including Torso, Head, Left and Right Legs and Left and Right Arms.
Certain exceptions to this general classification exist, such as the greaser jacket and jeans which is a clothing set over which leg armor and only leg armor may also be equipped.