Located 250 miles northwest of Las Vegas along Highway 95, the depot was established in 1930 as Naval Ammunition Depot Hawthorne (Hawthorne NAD). Some time between then and the Great War, command of this facility was transferred to the Department of the Army.
According to Pete at Nellis Air Force Base, Area 2 was a huge military depot in Nevada, located many miles away from the Nellis AFB. The Boomers obtained their howitzers and ammunition for them from it, dragging them across the wasteland to Nellis AFB over several weeks. Cass identifies the weapons as originating from the Hawthorne Army Depot, a military base with a lot of history.
Area 2 is mentioned only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Area 2 is based on the real world location of the same name, located within the Nevada Test Site in the Mojave Desert. The area is located 18 miles southeast of Area 51 and is part of Nellis Air Force Base.
- Area 2 has been the United States nuclear weapons testing facility since the 1950s with over 100 visible craters. During the testing of U.S. nuclear weapons, the bombs were stored in the facility two miles from the testing site. The facility is unnamed and is only referred to as Area 2.
- Hawthorne Army Depot is based on real world location Hawthorne Army Depot, a U.S. Army ammunition storage depot located near the town of Hawthorne in western Nevada.
- ↑ Hawthorne Army Depot
- ↑ The Courier: "What are howitzers doing at an Air Force Base?"
Pete: "You're right, they weren't here when we discovered Nellis! We found the guns at a huge weapon depot called Area 2, many miles from here! It took many weeks to drag the guns and their ammunition back to Nellis - and it was the last time any of us set foot beyond our homeland!"
- ↑ Rose of Sharon Cassidy: "Some of these weapons look like they came from Hawthorne Army Depot, place has a lot of history."
(Rose of Sharon Cassidy's dialogue) Note: VCassLocationNellis