The Animal Friends and Defenders (abbreviated A.F.A.D.) was a small pre-War organization dedicated to protecting animals and the environment against corporations. It was destroyed as the Great War occurred.
A.F.A.D. had special focus on the work that was carried out at Nuka-World, and would often disturb people and work at Safari Adventure. They often wore animal masks, various animal tattoos and on occasion, full animal suits. In early 2077, Dr. Hein's Chryslus Corvega was vandalized and filled with manure. "Stop the torture!" was also painted across the security door of the Welcome Center on February 27, 2077.
In the early hours of October 23, 2077, the day of the Great War, a member sent a message by phone to Dr. Hein posing as an employee who required assistance in treating an injured escaped animal at the Angry Anaconda construction site. At least four members of the A.F.A.D., Chipmunk, Rabbit, Robin, and Mouse then held Dr. Hein hostage. At some point, the Nuka-World security team was alerted to the situation. However, the bombs fell before the crisis could be resolved. Another skeleton, presumably of an A.F.A.D. member, can be found attempting to breach the cloning facility.
- A.F.A.D. is a reference to the real life organization known as the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, who use similar methods to what A.F.A.D uses.
- Ingrid, one of the names of the members of A.F.A.D., shares the same given name as Animal Rights extremist Ingrid Newkirk, who also owns an animal rights activist organization, using similar methods.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Welcome Center terminal entries; Welcome Center Terminal, SA-Memo 082077
- ↑ A.F.A.D. manifesto
- ↑ Welcome Center terminal entries; Dr. Hein's Terminal, Journal Entry 02-27-2077
- ↑ Welcome Center terminal entries; Dr. Hein's Terminal, Journal Entry 10-23-2077
- ↑ A.F.A.D. interrogation
- ↑ Welcome Center terminal entries; Welcome Center Terminal, SA-Memo 102377