Right off of route 88, this area initially seems to be haunted. Screams can be heard and the ground shakes every so often, picture frames in the cabins spin in a haunted manner and doors may be seen closing by themselves. However, all these events are controlled by a terminal in a treehouse to the south of the cabins. The terminal allows one to control the effects individually, but can also run an automated sequence.
The main area has four cabins that surround an unusable makeshift bonfire pit. There is a raised picnic area to the north of the westernmost cabin. The picnic area contains a grill, an overturned table and an upright table with some minor things on it. There is a covered bulletin board on the trail between the western cabins. That trail leads to an outhouse that is visible from the bulletin board. The southwestern cabin is the largest cabin, and each cabin has suitcases and other miscellaneous searchable containers.
Screams can be heard and the ground shakes every so often in this small group of cabins. The picture frames in the cabins spin and move. Doors can also be seen and heard closing by themselves without any contact with the player character or an enemy. They tend to close by themselves even a brief moment after being opened. Up the nearby hill, there is a treehouse that contains a terminal. Currently set on automatic mode, one can individually select different modes. This can allow for drawing more enemies or wildlife to the cabins as well as initiating all the haunting effects.
- Alpine River Cabins complaint - Holotape, inside the northwestern cabin, near the entrance, on a table next to an ashtray and a couple of cigarettes.
- Alpine River Cabins guestbook - Note, west of the cabins along a trail.
- Rita - The Fire Breather - Holotape, on top of a safe inside the southeastern cabin.
- AUTOMATED RECORD 0000002 - Holotape, southeast of the Alpine River Cabins and west of relay tower EM-B1-27, in a crate designated "mysterious box."
- Two potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- In the southeastern cabin with the Rita - The Fire Breather holotape, on top of the bunk bed beside a safe.
- In the southern cabin with the bear rug, underneath a bunk bed.
- Two potential magazines:
- In the treehouse to the south with the "spooky" effects terminal, on the round table by the sleeping bag.
- In the southwestern cabin with the bear rug, on the lower bunk of a bunk bed.
- Potential recipe - On a picnic table in the picnic area overlooking the cabins.
Alpine River Cabins appears only in Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p.288: "08. ALPINE RIVER CABINS
Hidden in the woods, just off Highway 88, is a quaint collection of cabins. However, the strange seismic disturbances and distant screaming make this a most unnerving place to visit, especially at night! Perhaps there's a way to "turn off" these unnerving occurrences? That treehouse up the hill to the south looks interesting...."
(Fallout 76 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Atlas of Appalachia)