An airship is a type of aircraft that utilizes bags filled with gases that are lighter than air to achieve liftoff and can be controlled from a main cabin. A zeppelin is a type of rigid airship.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Brotherhood of Steel[edit | edit source]
The Brotherhood once possessed an entire fleet of airships. These simple air vessels are said to have been an impressive sight when they once filled the skies of New California, but as time went by, they were either destroyed fighting super mutant remnants after the fall of the Unity or dismantled for parts and materials. One crashed on an expedition somewhere in the Midwest
Midwestern Brotherhood[edit | edit source]
Some time after the fall of the Master, the Brotherhood of Steel used zeppelins to travel east, to locate and assess the extent of the remaining super mutant threat. However, while crossing the mountains, a great storm broke the main airship and blew it far off course. The ship suffered severe damage, with smaller sections torn loose from the main craft and never to be seen again. The damage caused by the storm also claimed many of the Air Convoy leaders, including Paladin Latham. The command zeppelin remained aloft, thanks to the efforts of the surviving crew, who managed to keep the wounded vessel aloft until it reached the outskirts of Chicago. There the ship crashed, and those who had lasted through both storm and the crash landing eventually formed the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel, a new organization, which diverged greatly from the ideals of the old Brotherhood. The wrecked zeppelin is to be found near the area later known as Osceolla. It was there that Paladin Latham, having somehow survived his ejection from the airship, established his main base after taking the name of Gammorin, and becoming leader of the super mutants to be found there.
East Coast[edit | edit source]
The Prydwen is a next-generation airship utilized by the Brotherhood of Steel in the Commonwealth, constructed at Adams Air Force Base over a six year period. It took two years to collect the materials necessary and another four to actually construct the airship. It weighs in at forty thousand tons. The fuel source was taken from a wrecked aircraft carrier's nuclear reactor. The airship is also filled with hydrogen.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- The Prydwen, an airship seen operated by the Brotherhood of Steel in the Commonwealth.
- One of the wrecked zeppelins can be found near the area later known as Osceolla. It was there that Paladin Latham, having somehow survived his ejection from the airship, established his main base after taking the name of Gammorin and becoming leader of the super mutants to be found there.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Brotherhood soldier (1):"I still can't believe I was posted to the Prydwen. I mean, look at her... she's one of a kind."
Brotherhood soldier (2): "Actually, the Brotherhood of Steel had a whole fleet of these things at one time. They weren't as advanced as the Prydwen, mind you... but seeing them fill the sky must have been an impressive sight."
Brotherhood soldier (1): "Are you kidding me? What happened to them?"
Brotherhood soldier (2): "Not sure, really. Most of them were destroyed fighting Super Mutants or scuttled for parts. I think one of them crash landed somewhere in the Midwest. I heard that the wreckage is still there."
Brotherhood soldier (1): "Wow... I had no idea."
- The Sole Survivor: "Did the Brotherhood ever build other airships?"
Kells: " "
- Fallout Tactics intro: "Super mutants, the foot soldiers of a conquered army, had been forced into retreat across the mountainous barrier to the east. The Brotherhood constructed airships and dispatched the minority to track down and assess the extent of the remaining super mutant threat."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "But disaster struck while crossing the great mountains. A great storm broke the main airship and flung it far from its course. The mighty ship was badly damaged. The smaller sections were torn from the main craft, never to be seen again. Many of the expedition`s leaders were lost to the winds."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "The fraction of the crew that still survived, struggled to keep their ship aloft before finally crashing on the outskirts of a once thriving metropolis. A city once called "Chicago". Broken, scattered and scarred. They took stock of the situation and once again squared their shoulders to the task ahead."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "Separated by distance and ideology from the main Brotherhood forces. The minority was free to forge a new "Brotherhood of Steel". One that reflected the ideals they had strived for all along."
- The Sole Survivor: "Where was the Prydwen constructed?"
Kells: " "