| ||For the Automatron companion, see Ada.|
Despite an almost complete lack of medical education, Ada Straus is the "doctor" who can be found working in Novac. Despite not having a medical degree, this drug dealer will still perform the medical procedures that someone might need; such as general practice, radiation and or addiction removal, while giving horrible advice afterward. She does not keep care of her medical supplies, and bolsters her income by trafficking drugs and selling salvaged weapons, like laser pistols and energy cells. Her bodyguards have taken a notice to her peculiar practices, particularly her apparent lack of knowledge of medicine or disinclination to pay them for her practices.
It seems the drugs she uses to treat people with are effective, as nobody has ran her out of town yet, even if her response to exposure to radiation includes suggestions that irradiation helps with reading at night, can be removed with baths in tomato juice, or inquiries about using the irradiated person as a makeshift oven for toast.
Ada Straus is a doctor of questionable skills who can be found working in Novac with her two bodyguards. The group moves around the area behind the Dino Dee-lite Motel, stopping periodically near the pack brahmin at the tent, and the north and west road entrances to the town.
Despite her hapless demeanor, the services Ada provides are the same as those of any other wasteland doctor. In addition to medical supplies, she also sells other items like laser pistols and energy cells.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: chems and consumables|
|This character starts quests.|
- Straus Calls: Ada can provide medical assistance at reduced rates.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Wasteland doctor fatigues
Rawhide cowboy hat
|Laser pistol||Bottle caps
- Dr. Straus' lack of competence (even shown in her tagged skills, which don't include Medicine) is revealed in her replies to the player character:
- When the player character requests medical supplies, she will reply "Yeah, and I need sterile medical supplies. But let's see what I have with me."
- Mentioning an addiction problem will prompt her to reply, "Hey, pipe down. We can't talk about that here, out in the open," quickly followed by "Oh, you mean you want a cure. Oh."
- Upon requesting to heal radiation sickness, she will ask "Are you sure? You won't be able to read in the dark as well." If the treatment is accepted, she will say "Okay. And remember if this doesn't help, try taking a bath in tomato juice." If refused, she says "In that case, stand just like that for a second. I want to make some toast."
- One of her bodyguards will often remark "Between you and me, I don't think she studied at an accredited institution", with the other noting, "She hasn't paid me anything yet, should I be worried?"
- She is the only doctor in the wasteland who sells both medical supplies and addictive chems.
- If the player character has a "Wild Child" reputation in Novac, Ada remarks that "it's great for business" and to "keep it up." She will also provide a discount on her services.
- Killing her does not lower Karma. Killing her bodyguards does, however.
- If the player character requests that she treats a chem addiction and they do not have sufficient caps to pay (50 caps), she will reply "Why didn't you say so? No problem, I'll give you my free cure. Here, lean in. It's a special doctor secret." She then yells at the player "Stop doing chems!"
- Killing both of her bodyguards from stealth will not only result in Karma loss but cause Ada Straus to disappear the next day, even if the guards' deaths are not noticed by anyone.[verification needed]
- "What are the chances of me botching another routine procedure in the same day?"
- "I've gotta hand it to you. You've done good things for Novac, but you've also got 'em a little scared of you. And that's great for business. As long as you keep it coming, I'll get you some things a little cheaper than they should be." – Wild child reputation in Novac
- "Are you sure? You won't be able to read in the dark as well."
- "Darn it! That money was going to help pay to get me some medical training." – The Courier refusing medical treatment from her.
- "Hey, pipe down. We can't talk about that here, out in the open. " – The Courier asking for help removing an addiction.
- "Let's see... Physically, you're fine. Emotionally... well, I'm not the right kind of doctor for that." – The Courier asking to be healed when nothing is wrong with them.
- "That's not so bad. I'll have you looking good as new. I mean, what are the chances of me botching another routine procedure in the same day?" – After the Courier requests medical care.
- "Yeah, and I need medical supplies. But let's see what I have with me." – The Courier requesting medical supplies.
- "Unless you dipped that in cheese fondue, I'd say it's infected. Let me fix that up for you." – After the Courier requests medical care.
- "Jesus, I don't think that's supposed to just dangle like that. And what the hell is that thing there? It's gonna be expensive. Try not to speak. Just nod yes or no." – After the Courier requests medical care.
Dr. Ada Straus appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- ↑ The Courier: "I think I might be addicted to something."
Ada Straus: "Hey, pipe down. We can't talk about that here, out in the open. "
(Ada Straus' dialogue)
- ↑ The Courier: "I need medical supplies."
Ada Straus: "Yeah, and I need medical supplies. But let's see what I have with me."
(Ada Straus' dialogue)