Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Vault-Tec Workshop quest: A Model Citizen|
|Follow the overseer.|
|Kill the feral ghouls.|
|Talk to the overseer.|
|Build the Vault 88 Overseer's Desk.|
|Return to the overseer.|
|Turn on the Vault 88 Radio Beacon.|
|Return to the overseer.|
|Help the overseer interview candidates||Explore Vault 88|
|Talk to the overseer||Leads to: Explore Vault 88|
|Reward: 350 XP|
|Leads to: Power to the People|
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
After reaching Valery Barstow, she will ask the Sole Survivor to follow her as she explains her situation. There are several feral ghouls and even a glowing one nearby who used to be part of the construction team working inside the vault. The nearest one, Julian, will become hostile if one gets too close to him. Barstow will ask him to stop, before realizing he no longer responds, and will request the Sole Survivor to put the rest of the construction team out of their misery. Once all the ghouls are dead, Barstow will explain that Stanislaus Braun tasked her with a vital experiment for Vault 88.
If one chooses the 'Vault-Tec are bastards' option in dialogue, she will understand, and state that the program can be altered to be more ethical to the test subjects (though the player character can alter the parameters of each experiment to be ethical even if this dialogue option is not chosen). There is also the option to expel Barstow from the vault, permanently failing and ending the questline, but giving the Sole Survivor control of the entire vault and granting access to all of the prototypes. The achievement Oversight may also be gained here.
If one grants her wishes, the Vault 88 overseer's desk must then be built with the workshop for her. Once she has consulted the terminal, she will ask the Sole Survivor to turn on the radio beacon in the entranceway where Security Chief Andersen was encountered. Its switch is on the large control board in the middle of the room. After that is completed, the player character will be told to Explore Vault 88, triggering the related side quest. This requires clearing rockfalls that have blocked up entrances to new passages beyond the main chamber, as well as restarting the workshops in these sections.
Once enough time has passed (no exploration is required for this to happen) the next stage is to help Barstow interview new candidates into the vault. A group of settlers will have appeared at the entrance to the vault, summoned by the radio beacon. Two are unnamed, the third being Clem, who is the type of person Barstow is looking for.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Companion reactions[edit | edit source]
Missing data (missing: Gage's reactions)
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Only the overseer's desk from the special menu will advance the quest, the overseer's desk in the furniture menu will not. With this in mind, do not scrap the original overseer's desk. If one intends to retain the services of the overseer at the end of the quest chain, she will only interact with her original desk.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC After building the overseer's desk, the overseer may not speak to the player character and the quest will be stuck. This bug is caused by scrapping the cases full of vault suits and Pip-Boys in the antechamber. Inputting setstage 004840 300 will advance the quest as normal.[verified]
- After Clem is accepted, the quest updates and "Talk to the Overseer" is the next objective. No dialogue is possible, however, as she only keeps repeating "Such a delight to talk to living, breathing people." Stage 700 is shown as set, but nothing will progress the quest. Manually setting stage 800 will successfully complete the quest, but no further quests are available. Talking to the Overseer only opens the trade item screen.
- PC Sometimes, if the objective to help interview candidates is ignored and returned to later, the interview scene will not start and the player character will have no way to talk to the overseer. Additionally, two of the settlers will only offer to trade with the player character and the third will speak in a muffled voice.[verification overdue]
- On PC, this can be fixed by selecting the female settler standing in the middle using the console and entering recycleactor, followed by moveto player.
- If console usage is unavailable, one can kill Overseer Barstow, failing the quest, but also granting the player character ownership of the vault and the Oversight achievement (if not already acquired).