| ||For an overview of assault rifle models, see assault rifle.|
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and some details might contradict canon.|
More powerful than the M16A1 but with a shorter range. Both the gun and its 7.62mm ammo are very common and one can afford to equip most of their squad with them. While it is a staple midgame weapon for gun-toting characters, it gradually loses its effectiveness towards endgame as heavily armored enemies become more common.
- Six in Freeport, one in a locker, and the other five carried by raiders. Three of the raiders are in the individual tents, one is guarding the still, and one is in the locked house.
- Rock Falls, 25 carried by raiders
- Macomb, 26 carried by raiders
- Peoria, one found on a raider's corpse
- Quincy, three carried by beastlords
- Mardin, two carried by beastlords
- Springfield, found on multiple raiders
- Junction City, 14 carried by Enforcers, and five can be located in the cave system below the city.
- Cold Water, five carried by BOS deserters
Behind the scenesEdit
The AK-47 is a simple assault rifle of Soviet origin, invented by Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1947 and adopted by the Soviet Army in 1949. AK-47s were manufactured across the world during the second half of the 20th century through the beginning of the 21st century. In 1956, AK-47s were adopted by the Chinese Army (PLA) but were replaced with new-generation assault rifles prior to the Great War, and in the United States, likewise replaced in service by the AK-112 assault rifle.