|For an overview of submachine gun models, see submachine gun.|
The 9mm submachine gun is a small, yet capable weapon, able to empty a full magazine in under three seconds. The 9mm rounds it uses are common and lightweight, making it even easier to spray-and-pray. The 9mm submachine gun has existed as early as 1932.
With the light bolt modification, this weapon deals 200 damage-per-second. However, it shares the common weakness of most automatic weapons in Fallout: New Vegas, in that much of its theoretical power is negated by the Damage Threshold system. In addition to losing much of its damage to the target's damage threshold, the high spread of the SMG requires the Courier to be at close range for all of the rounds fired to impact the target.
The 9mm submachine gun can fire a total of about 2,745 standard rounds, the equivalent of 92 reloads (or 46 reloads when modified with drum magazines) from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Drums|
|Standard, HP & JHP||2745||92||2745||46|
- Vance's 9mm submachine gun, a unique variant of the 9mm SMG.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|9mm submachine gun||14||154||11||x0.06||14||4||20||2.8||1.5||30||2745||4||850||212.5||25||3|
|9mm submachine gun||14||200.2||14.3||x0.06||14||6||20||4.2||1.5||60||2745||4||2500||625||25||3|
|Vance's 9mm submachine gun||17||221||13||x0.05||17||5||20||4.3||1.5||60||3745||4||1500||375||25||3|
- Andy Scabb carries a 9mm submachine gun.
- Carlyle St. Clair's house - Hidden on the floor underneath the shelf.
- White Legs tribals in Zion Canyon. Commonly found on
- Found on various merchants and traders all throughout the Mojave Wasteland.
- Goodsprings - Inside Doc Mitchell's house, there's a broken one on top of the Sunset Sarsaparilla crate that can be repaired and taken with a Repair skill of 25.
- Gun Runners - The Vendortron sells one, in 98% condition.
- Lower level Great Khans carry 9mm SMGs.
- McMurphy has one on his corpse in Boulder City.
- Lucky 38 - A fully repaired one can be found in the basement next to an ammunition box on a table. (The player character can only access the Lucky 38's basement when taken there by Mr. House or Yes Man during The House Always Wins, I or Wild Card: Change in Management).
- Mrs. Hostetler carries a 9mm submachine gun.
- Nipton - Inside the house with a Mister Gutsy on the northeast side of town.
- Vikki and Vance Casino - In the open safe inside the casino cashier's office.
- Zapp's Neon Signs - In an open safe in the foreman's office.
- As of patch 188.8.131.522, Viper gunslingers can be found with them when the player character is below level 8.
- Fiends in Vault 3 may carry 9mm SMGs.
- Papa Khan in Red Rock Canyon carries one.
- Recruit decani sometimes carry them.
- NCR troopers patrolling the Mojave occasionally carry them.
- The 9mm SMG is depicted in the Run 'n Gun perk.
- As the 9mm SMG is a one-handed weapon, it can be equipped without reducing movement speed.
- The 9mm SMG shares its firing sound with the 9mm pistol.
Behind the scenes
Sometimes when switching to the 9mm submachine gun the magazine will appear forwards of the barrel with the rest of its orientation correct. Upon reload, the magazine position issue will correct itself. It appears to only affect the gun when the drum magazine mod is equipped. [verified]