Background[edit | edit source]
The 4.7mm caseless is a round developed by the German company Heckler & Koch. Rather than placed inside a casing with the propellant sealed inside by the bullet, the caseless ammunition consists of a block of propellant with the bullet buried inside. The resulting space and weight savings allow for very high magazine capacities and rates of fire. H&K created a modular assault rifle that could be modified to act as a squad support weapon. Rheinmetall AG pushed further, creating the ultimate minigun capable of achieving firing rates of 90 000 RPM, representing the very pinnacle of Teutonic engineering.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
4.7mm is one of the rarest forms of ammo available in Fallout 2. It can only be bought in two stores in the wasteland, and is used for some of the rarer weapons in the game. Because the Vindicator minigun has a larger capacity of rounds and shoots more rounds every turn, it is even harder to maintain a sufficient amount of this ammo type in inventory.
Weapons using this ammunition[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Toxic caves - 200 rounds in the lockers in the bottom level.
- Red 888 Guns - Sometimes sold by Mai Da Chiang.
- NCR Bazaar - Sometimes sold by Buster.
- PMV Valdez - Several female punks have G11 rifles and a spare clip that can be stolen.
- Navarro - Some of the soldiers in the mess hall carry ammo.
- San Francisco - Hubologists often have G11E rifles loaded with 50 rounds, but no stealable spare clips.
References[edit | edit source]
- H&K G11: "This gun revolutionized assault weapon design. The weapon fires a caseless cartridge consisting of a block of propellant with a bullet buried inside. The resultant weight and space savings allow this weapon to have a very high magazine capacity."
- H&K G11E: "This gun revolutionized squad level support weapon design. The gun fires a caseless cartridge consisting of a block of propellant with a bullet buried inside. The resultant weight and space savings allow it to have a very high magazine capacity."
- Vindicator minigun: "The German Rheinmetall AG company created the ultimate minigun. The Vindicator throws over 90,000 caseless shells per minute down its six carbon-polymer barrels. As the pinnacle of Teutonic engineering skill, it is the ultimate hand-held weapon."