|For an overview of 10mm pistol models in the Fallout series of games, see 10mm pistol.|
Background[edit | edit source]
The large-framed, gas-operated N99 was selected as the standard issue conventional sidearm of the United States military, following the phaseout of the N80 in 2051. The long-barreled pistol remained in service for 26 years, until the Great War destroyed the United States. The pistol is designed to withstand the most extreme conditions, which was one of the requirements for a new service sidearm. It can also be repaired easily by anyone with even the most basic technical knowledge. This includes both clearing misfeeds and restoring a unit to working condition after long exposure to elements without maintenance.
These features also make it popular with wastelanders, who appreciate the ease of maintenance. It remains a common weapon, as even though many civilian units were ruined, they can easily be restored by anyone with some repair knowledge. Even damaged units can be used reliably, though they will offer subpar performance and jam frequently. The number of manufactured pistols means that parts are easy to come by, however.
An N99 10mm pistol equipped with a suppressor. The benefit of the suppressor is that when one fires at an enemy and kills them with the first shot, no nearby enemies will be alerted. The downside for models in the Capital Wasteland is the slightly decreased damage compared to a regular N99, however silencers found in the Mojave Wasteland do not cause any performance issues.
The 10mm combat pistol is a next-generation 10mm sidearm created before the Great War. While it is a different design from the N99, it uses the same gas-operated action, allowing it to use 10mm ammunition with ease. Key differences include a slide release lever, automatically locking the slide back when the weapon runs dry, and compatibility with a plethora of aftermarket modifications.
Available to both government and civilian clients, the combat pistol could be fitted with an automatic receiver, turning it into a machine pistol, as well as a variety of optics (including the high-tech recon scopes), suppressors and other accessories to improve its performance. This flexibility came at a cost, as the combat pistol required more expensive machining and materials than the N99, consisting primarily of simple flat surfaces.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The pistol uses 10mm ammunition, commonly found in Washington, D.C. and the surrounding Capital Wasteland. It is similar to the Colt 6520, which is more common on the West Coast. It is also the first actual gun available in the game and can be found in many other places around the game world.
Durability[edit | edit source]
The 10mm pistol can fire a total of about 556 rounds, the equivalent of 47 reloads, from full condition before breaking, an amount roughly half of what the Chinese pistol can fire.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Silenced 10mm pistol - While not unique, the silenced 10mm pistol is a suppressed version of this weapon. Although weaker, it does not give away its user's position when fired while sneaking.
- Colonel Autumn's 10mm pistol - Carried by Enclave Colonel Augustus Autumn, the colonel's 10mm pistol is nearly twice as powerful as the regular version.
- Butch's 10mm pistol - A unique pistol used by Butch DeLoria when acting as a companion.
- Sonora Cruz's 10mm pistol - A unique pistol found on Sonora Cruz. It deals 100 damage, but Sonora always flees from enemies and never uses her pistol.
- Sim version - A sim-only version of the weapon which has been re-skinned to appear newer and less worn. It also differs in health, with a whopping 999,150 hit points, essentially preventing the gun from ever degrading. This weapon is not normally accessible outside of the simulation.
- 10mm alloy steel pistol - Another version of the weapon that was cut from the Operation Anchorage add-on, it differs from the standard 10mm pistol in appearance only, using the same new skin as the sim only version.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Colonel Autumn's 10mm pistol||13||78||6||x1||13||17||0.8||0.5||12||577||3||325||108.3|
|Silenced 10mm pistol||8||48||6||x2||5||21||0.4||0.5||12||333||3||250||83.3|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- This is the first real gun available in-game, as Amata offers one to the Lone Wanderer at the beginning of the quest Escape!, who can then choose to accept it or tell her to keep it. The pistol is also in perfect condition and will be useful to low-level player characters. It belongs to her father, who she stole it from.
- It is found in large quantities throughout the Capital Wasteland, as low and medium level raiders and wastelanders often use the weapon.
- It can be found in many random safes throughout the wasteland, mostly Easy locked ones.
- Amata will carry one into the wastes if the player chooses to drive everyone out of Vault 101, after the quest Trouble on the Homefront.
- Officers Wilkins, Richards, O'Brian, Taylor, and Gomez all carry the 10mm pistol.
- Four in Rivet City's bridge tower armory
- Alphonse Almodovar will carry one during the quest, Trouble on the Homefront.
- Millicent Wellington will use a 10mm pistol to kill her husband Edgar Wellington II if shown the love letter.
- Bannon, Birch, Colin Moriarty, the ghoul scientist, Greta, Jason, Jessica, Joe Porter, Machete, Nathaniel Vargas, Pappy, Initiate Pek, Sonora Cruz, Ted Strayer, Weston Lesko and Winthrop all use the 10mm pistol.
- One is found inside the abandoned house in Grayditch, next door to the Brandice's house.
- Two can be found in the National Guard depot's armory.
- Paladin Hoss carries one.
- smugglers. Occasionally carried by
Sounds[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Lone Wanderer: "Your gun is jammed? Can I take a look at it?"
Pek: "Sure, I guess. Can you fix it?"
The Lone Wanderer: "Sure can. Here, just pull this back to clear the chamber."
Pek: "Wow... that's... that's easy. Now at least I can shoot back at those mutant bastards. Are you ready?"
- Citadel terminal entries; weapon information research database terminal, N99 10mm Pistol
- Boston Airport terminal entries; supply depot terminal; Outgoing Supply Order RQR-2200
- The Art of Fallout 4 p. 236: "The base 10mm, for instance, is a different design from the version in Fallout 3. But with the proper mods, you can transform it into something very similar."
- Weapon appearance in Fallout 4.
- Weapon modifications and appearance in Fallout 4.