Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The .357 Magnum revolver is a single action, fixed-cylinder revolver that fires .357 Magnum and .38 special rounds. It has an average firing rate but makes up for it with a fairly powerful damage output. Its fixed cylinder is reloaded by hand one round at a time through the loading gate, as such it can be interrupted mid-way through reloading and fired if needed.
The iron sights are low to the gun with hardly any protrusion and thus are suited more to close-range combat. The .357 cannot jam, making it a reliable weapon. It is considered an improved holdout weapon and can be concealed and taken into weapon-free locations with 50 or greater Sneak skill. The .357 Magnum revolver can be an effective weapon in earlier levels, as there is an abundance of both the weapon itself and its associated ammunition types.
The .357 Magnum revolver is visually represented as a somewhat worn, medium-gray revolver. While the action and barrel are constructed of steel or iron, the grip appears to be carved from an antler. Some two hundred years ago this was likely a fine, highly performing weapon, but years of elemental and human abuse have eroded the pistol, leaving it a weathered, though still serviceable revolver.
Durability[edit | edit source]
The .357 Magnum revolver can fire a total of about 995 standard rounds, the equivalent of 166 reloads, from full condition before breaking. When modded with the heavy duty cylinder, it can fire a total of about 1,495 standard rounds, the equivalent of 250 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ HD cylinder|
|Standard, HP & JFP||995||166||1495||250|
Weapon modifications[edit | edit source]
- .357 Magnum revolver long barrel - increases the weapon's damage by 3.
- .357 revolver heavy duty cylinder - increases the weapon's durability by 50%.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Lucky - A unique .357 revolver that can be found in a Hard locked safe in the Bison Steve Hotel in Primm.
- Police pistol - A smaller revolver that can be repaired with .357 Magnum revolvers.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|.357 Magnum revolver||26||45.5||1.75||x1||26||26||1||0.5||6||995||2||110||55||0||3|
|.357 Magnum revolver||29||50.8||1.75||x1||26||26||1.1||0.5||6||1495||2||810||405||0||3|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Aerotech Office Park - In the locked (difficulty is level dependent) bathroom in Aerotech suite 300.
- Black Mountain - On the body of a dead NCR trooper, located on the road leading up to the summit.
- Goodsprings has an abundance of .357 Magnum revolvers. Trudy, Chet, Easy Pete, Goodsprings settlers and Joe Cobb all carry one, and an additional one can be stolen from a glass behind the bar in the Prospector Saloon.
- Goodsprings Cemetery - One might spawn in one of the graves, a shovel is needed to dig it out.
- Gun Runners - The Vendortron sells them.
- HELIOS One - Lieutenant Haggerty carries one.
- Klamath Bob's Liquor Store, Westside - Behind the counter along with some ammunition.
- Monte Carlo Suites - On the body of a dead gambler, located in the ruins to the east.
- Nipton - One can be found on the bottom shelf of a workbench inside one of the houses.
- During the quest Birds of a Feather, the suicide bomber carries one.
- Kings members might carry one.
- Powder Gangers might also carry one.
- Sold by merchants at low levels.
- Private Morales carries one.
- Hopeville Missile Base - In a sewer pipe next to a Duffle bag running under the road leading into the base from the direction of the Hopeville missile silo bunker map marker.
- Hopeville Missile Base Headquarters - Inside of a bathroom in the lobby next to a skeleton.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The .357 Magnum is the revolver featured on many Fallout: New Vegas promotional images. On the main title screen, it appears to have the long barrel modification attached.
- Despite being held by an NCR Veteran Ranger in the main title screen and many promotional images, it is never part of their standard inventory in-game.
- Unlike all other revolvers, the .357 Magnum will not jam.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Xbox 360 If ammo type is changed to a type of ammunition that one has less than six of and the ammunition type loaded before changing had six loaded then the player character will continue to play the reload animation forever. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Occasionally when using the .357 Magnum in V.A.T.S., one will stand still and do nothing. This bug is shared by all .357 Magnum variants and other weapons that are reloaded on a round-by-round basis, such as the brush gun, cowboy repeater, and the hunting shotgun. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 This gun is affected by the reloading glitch, meaning it can be changed to load a certain ammo and be completely filled by loading only one round.[verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 When reloading and running in third person, the cylinder will remain open, to fix this, switch to first person and back, or wait for the game to close the gate.[verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 This revolver can be used to do the reload dash glitch, this glitch can be used to obtain the highest possible running speed and get to otherwise unreachable locations in vanilla Fallout New Vegas.
Sounds[edit | edit source]
|Attack sound||Reload sound|