We Are Legion is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas. This quest is one of a pair of mutually exclusive quests to resolve the battle between NCR forces stationed in Camp Forlorn Hope and Legion forces stationed in Nelson. Completing this quest prevents the completion of Restoring Hope, and thus prevents the NCR from reclaiming Nelson.
If you succeed, and then go to Red Rock Canyon, Papa Khan will greet you for your success, suggesting he has very good networks of informants, and that his hate of the NCR is intact. More importantly, he will name you his official heir. He will propose you to rule the Great Khans after his death, an exceptional offer you can accept or decline. It is symbolic, as it has no immediate effect in the game.
- Kill 4 named NCR "officers" at Camp Forlorn Hope: (Major Polatli, Quartermaster Mayes, Tech Sergeant Reyes, Dr. Richards)
- Report back to Dead Sea.
- Reward: Liberator.
Because several of these officers are involved in the quest Restoring Hope, finishing this quest will cause Restoring Hope to fail. Other quests that begin in or involve Camp Forlorn Hope can be completed, as long as they're done before killing the officers for We Are Legion.
- Quartermaster Mayes walks around among many NCR troopers.
- Dr. Richards is alone in the medical clinic most of the time. He sleeps in a tent down from the Medical Center.
- Tech Sergeant Reyes has two guards and is in a small, open tent. Both her guards have caravan shotguns. Reyes does not sleep.
- Major Polatli wanders. He may be inside with the Tech Sergeant but is usually outside by the power station near the communications tent. At night, he sleeps in a tent just north of the main tent.
- The Liberator is a unique machete given as a quest reward.
- If you have Completed Three-Card Bounty the 1st Recon team will be in the camp including Corporal Sterling who holds the La Longue Carabine which is lootable from his corpse, however Corporal Sterling does not have to be killed to complete the quest.
- Completing the quest Back in Your Own Backyard by rescuing the NCR troopers seems to make Dead Sea permanently hostile to the player making this quest impossible to complete.
- Completing the quest does not create a Legion presence at Forlorn Hope. The officers are killed and the camp will be overwhelmed at the Battle of Hoover Dam but NCR troopers will continue to respawn in the camp.
- The NCR assassination targets can be easily killed if you use the Abilene Kid LE BB Gun. Wait until the targets are asleep and shoot them in the head. Make sure you are hidden while doing this. Because Reyes doesn't sleep, wait until she is sitting in her chair. Wait for the right moment to shoot her in the head with the BB gun without the NCR guards looking, and they won't become hostile. Killing all officers in this way, as long as you are hidden, will allow you to roam Forlorn Hope after you have killed them (assuming you don't have a bad reputation with the NCR).
Behind the scenes
- The title is a clever play on words. On one level, it simply means that you are working with the Legion; that is, for Caesar. However, it also evokes the New Testament, Mark 5:9, in which Jesus is conducting an exorcism, adding demonic overtones: "Then Jesus asked it [the possessing spirit], "What is your name?" "My name is Legion," it replied, "for we are many."
- "We Are Legion" may be a reference to a line of the tagline of hacktivist group "Anonymous".
- Standing in the south-western most lookout 'tower', the space between the sandbags and the roof is an invisible wall, allowing the player to pop out through the entrance, open fire, then retreat behind said invisible wall. The NCR will perceive you are hiding in a room and will all run to the location and equip melee weapons, making the quest very easy.
- Beginning this quest after having gone through every other dialogue option with Dead Sea may result in immediate quest failure, and endless Legion infamy gained.